Will Our “Real” Parents Stand Up Please!

After partying for 3 days in a row, we rested. On Sunday we rested the whole day and night and it was good. I loved laying all over hubby, intertwined with him on our couch. We drifted in and out of sleep that day and it was beautiful. Our kids kept coming over and staring at us, giggling to themselves, laying down with us, and making sure they kept the house quiet. They honored us that day by giving us their healing love and attention.

Our children adore their parents. They’re always smiling at us. They love to see us in love and love to see us enjoying our lives. I’m honored to be their role model, living it up and showing them that life is to be lived, enjoyed, and experienced. When I was growing up I didn’t get to see my parents go out and party, and hang out together. I would have loved it but as many parents start to “think”, when they have kids, the party has to stop because it’s time to set “a good example”. What does that really mean? I think my parents got caught up in the trap that children only need to see what’s considered to be the “good” in their parents. I’m not blaming them for falling prey, I’m just saying it would have benefited me to see them be free of that thinking. I had to learn how to party, experience life, and a whole lot of other things from others and I’m sure it would have been MUCH better had I learned it from them.

My husband and I have a different philosophy about allowing our children to see us for who we truly are. We think it’s best they learn it this way. We know it’ s best they know who their parents truly are and learn to love accept just that. I’m talking about giving your children all of you, your flaws, and being unashamed. Your kids will appreciate the truth and learn to live in their truth. Our kids love this about us and say to us all the time, they want to do the same with their children. I get all creamy inside hearing about the awesome life of my grandchildren and how open-minded their parents will teach them to be.

Parents, let’s stand up together and open up to our kids. Allow them to see you for who you really are. Stop hiding or trying to hide because they’ll know. The best teacher is you, the real you, the raw and uncut you. Your kids will learn to live openly and freely and will not feel as if though they have to hide as well. You don’t want that, now do you? You don’t want kids who grow up feeling ashamed of who they really are.

What you really want your children to know is that it’s ok to be who they are, no matter what that looks like but it has to start with you. If you haven’t been free to just be, it’s never too late to start. At first, they may look at you like your crazy but so what?? When you got up on a bike for the first time I’m sure you looked funny, wobbling all around the place but you kept going (hopefully) and became good at it, great at it. Well, look at living your life freely in front of your children the same way and soon you will be cruising along in no time.

Now go ahead, shake a little tail feather and drop it, drop it low ;-)

post signature

Comments

  1. Hi Lisa! I read Akilah's review of this blog post first before reading your actual post. I must say that the guidance and transparency from you two ladies is giving me so much freedom Thank you! Here is what I wrote on her blog as well, in reference to how you "Mamas" inspire me:

    "Man! I'm so blessed to be in connection with you two mamas (Akilah & Lisa). Even though I have been and early childhood educator for over 13 years, I have privately wrestled with the idea of parenting. I hold children in such high regard that I had a fear of whether or not I would get it "right" if I become a parent. Reading this I had a moment of revelation: all I need to do is be PRESENT in all that I am and all that I know. It's my job to give my children authenticity not perfection. This is such a moment of freedom for me. I will be posting this for Lisa as well and I feel blog inspired too...it may be time to get naked again."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments because I love hearing from you. Engage with me.

Popular posts from this blog

I was born to be a Diva, Were You? Giveaway!!!

An Award? For Me?!