Pay It Forward


This morning I woke up early, got dressed, and headed to the cell phone repair store. My oldest son got to hang with me all by himself today and as usual, he enjoys that. I enjoy having the opportunity to spend individual time with my children as this is a rare occurrence having five of them to split my time up with.

I was headed to the cell phone repair store because my phone wasn't holding a charge anymore. No matter what charger I tried it would not charge. I spent way too many days rigging charges and avoiding going because being without my phone is, well, like the end of the world. Drastic? Yeah. Dramafied? Yeah that too but I need my phone. I finally gave in and they told me it would take ONE to TWO hours, perfect! I could live with that. I left my phone with them around noon and returned around 4:15 and they were closed!!! Really? This was Saturday and guess what? They were closed all day Sunday!!! Talk about heated! I was done. I was so prepared to write a nice Yelp review on this store and let them have it because they didn't call me when they were done. 

This I learned was to be a blessing in disguise. 
I got to spend this entire weekend unplugged from all things online. At the same time my laptop was acting up and Hubby had not hooked up our office as yet so I couldn't use my computer either. I managed. It's one thing to decide to unplug it's another to have no choice. I did get to do other things that needed my undivided attention and that made all the difference in the world. Turns out it's not the end of the world that I didn't have my phone. Yes, there were tons of messages on my phone, tons of text messages...69 to be exact. And, lets not forget about my email that's now over 1000 that I usually manage on my phone as soon as they come in. Granted that number was growing out of control before this happened and of course it just got worse. Major email deletion haul coming soon as well as taking a good look at the many different alerts I have coming to my phone and deciding what to and what not to keep.

On to my blessing  and someone else making a difference in my life...
While I was out I found a new thrift store while looking for a new beauty supply store. I lucked up and found this gem and was completely taken back by all they sell. I called Hubby and he met me up there right away and he found a gorgeous coat for our daughter. While I was standing in line a lady by the name of Davetta looked at me and said, "that's a beautiful coat are you going to buy it?" I said "yes", and she asked me, "if she could buy it for me?" "Buy it for me?" "Yes, I want to buy it for you and I want you to pick out anything else you want." Really?? With my mouth on the floor I mustered up the words, "ok...thank you but why?" She said she couldn't find anything for herself and wanted to bless someone. Wow!!!! Not only was I shocked by this experience while it was happening to me but just the night before I was watching t.v. and saw a commercial on 11 alive news where they were doing this very same thing for others. The commercial showed them in a store asking a customer how she planned on paying for her purchase. She planned on paying by credit and they told her they were going to buy everything in her cart for her. She was thrilled and so was I! Davetta says that she does this occasionally and picks random people to be a blessing to. We exchanged numbers because this is the kind of person I want in my life. One who is open to being a blessing in the lives of others just because.

I was grateful for this experience and after this happened to me I feel like it's my turn to do the same for someone else. It's sort of like paying it forward. I'm blessed therefore I will be a blessing and it doesn't have to happen in the order just the fact that it happens is all that matters. Imagine the smile on someone face at what a difference this can make in their lives especially during this time of year. 
Hubby and I introduced the movie Pay It Forward to our kids some years ago and the message they got from that movie was priceless and one that all of us can learn from. 



post signature

Comments

  1. Oh wow I love this story....completely warms my heart. Definitely a blessed woman...I'm going to remember this story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspirational Lisa.

    Your writing is very vivid. I could envision the entire story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Pancakes ~ You're welcome. I'm glad I was standing right next to her. She wasn't alone. She was with her three kids. They were picking out toys from the toy bin and even in that, these kids were not being picky or fighting over who will get what toy. To me they seemed like kids who appreciated what they were getting. And it seemed like what their mom did for me wasn't foreign to them as I said she does this occasionally. She's definitely teaching her kids a helpful way to coexist with people in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Reginia ~ Thank you, especially coming from a writer who I think writes exceptionally well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camelia ~ Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments because I love hearing from you. Engage with me.

Popular posts from this blog

I was born to be a Diva, Were You? Giveaway!!!

An Award? For Me?!