For The Geek In Me

Earlier this year I decided to return to one of the things that I loved to do before my life was filled with the pitter patter of little feet and wet kisses. Reading books was something I had always loved to do and did it often. Books became a way for me to expand my imagination and develop my sense of creativity. As a child a book was sometimes all I had to the exposure of life in someone else's shoes. I read fiction and non, auto-biography's and memoir, history, poetry, religion, romance, classics, philosophy, to name a few. I wrote short stories, poetry, and romance. I remember building relationships with kids in highschool just because they liked to read as well. I was shy in school and one of my favorite places to go was the school library. 

I set my 2011 goal to originally read 5 then upped it to 7 and hit that goal earlier this month! So I'm raising the bar since I'll be starting in January not sometime in May like I did this year. My goal for 2012 will be 10, not nearly as much as some of my book club members who's goals are in the 20's, 30's, and 50's. 10 is my number and good enough for me.


Right now on this beautiful, quiet Saturday morning, I'm sitting in bed creating my list of books to read in 2012. I love online places like Goodreads and Shelfari that help me to keep my reading lists in order. Here is what I have so far, in no particular order and subject to be booted off the list if another book out ranks it:
  1. Someone Knows My Name (Recommended by someone in my HS group)
  2. Little Bee (Also recommended by someone in my HS group) 
  3. The Help (Been hearing about it everywhere)
  4. Time Travelers Wife (Because I enjoyed the movie so much). 
  5. She Comes First: The Thinking Mans Guide To Pleasuring A Women (Recommended by Amazon)
  6. The Alchemist (Recommended by Will Smith)
  7. The Sexy Part of the Bible (Recommended by someone in my FB (facebook) book group)
  8. The Dance of the Dissident Daughter: A Woman's Journey from Christian Tradition to the Sacred Feminine (Heard about it on a book review site. Can't remember which one)
  9. Thong On Fire: An Urban Erotic Tale (Found in Barnes & Noble)
  10. Commander In Chic: Every Woman's Guide to Managing Her Style Like a First Lady (Ebony Magazine Dec 2011/January 2012)
10 is my goal for 2012 and wish that I could do more because there are so many other books I'd love to read. I'll start here and see how it goes. 

What's on your reading list for 2012?



post signature

Comments

  1. i used to LOVE to read but i haven't done it in a while. i hope to do more of it next year. on my list: A New Earth (i am totally behind) and some other self improvement books! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read also! I find that the busier I become, the harder it is to enjoy a good book

    Happy Holidays

    Mally
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Pancakes ~ I hope you get to do more this coming year and A New Earth is a great way to start. It's a strong read, very insightful, though-provoking, and will challenge your beliefs as a Christian. This is a very good thing because you can have the opportunity to strengthen your faith or question it. Either way, self-growth is always a great experience.

    Mally ~ Happy Holidays to you to Lady! I'll challenge you to read one, just one book for 2012. You think you can do it? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I JUST wrote a blog post listing my favorite reads this year and I so happen to visit your blog and see of your similar passion. And, a list of recommendations to boot. I saved the link of this post to refer to in the future.

    I want to read more J.D. Salinger and Mark Twain books this year. Browsing your list, The Help and The Alchemist are must-reads as well.

    I believe I've read the She Comes First. If I remember correctly, it was an informative and stimulating read.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:32 PM

    I have 3 read books on your list, my personal fave being Little Bee (it's a gentle, touching read). The Help is a big commitment, but still worth it. The Alchemist is another classic. You've listed some other interested books I will look into.
    My reading goals for next year includes more non-fiction, because I think it's important to read more biographies of the great people in the past. I will also be posting my fave 5 books this year.
    Here's another resource for books- if you have old books you want to get rid of, you can swap them for books you're looking for: http://bookmooch.com/
    Happy Reading,
    -She

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool list. I'm an avid reader myself. Have been since elementary school (such a nerd). My problem is that once I start reading a book, I can't stop...regardless if I read through the night. Not a good look, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don ~ We think alike! I'm excited to get started. It's nothing like curling up with a book and letting your imagination rip. I love that we share this passion and got a couple of ideas from your list as well.
    The Alchemist is definitely going to be good. When I took a sneak peak my mind was deeply intrigued. And, She Comes First has been on my must read for some time. Yes, very, very stimulating. I'm looking forward to that one for sure.

    -She ~ Happy to meet you through Don. He is good people and well, so are the bloggers he knows. Thanks for the heads-up on The Help. I might have to read another book along side that one or read it early in the year. I've never heard of Book Mooch but will have to check it out. I do donate and sometimes buy my books from http://www.betterworldbooks.com/
    I'm looking forward to see your fav book list.

    Shanequa ~ LOL...it's definitely cool if you remember to eat and brush your teeth, HA!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for stopping by my blog.

    You have great selection. I have to read four books for my book club and I am going to add extra two and some writing in the middle.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments because I love hearing from you. Engage with me.

Popular posts from this blog

I was born to be a Diva, Were You? Giveaway!!!

An Award? For Me?!