Eat Pray Love, The Book Review

Two Sunday’s ago was my book club’s last meeting for the book Eat Pray Love. A little while ago I wanted to create something with the women in my family to get together and spend quality time with one another, that’s when the book club was born. We took our time with this one and met once a month to discuss, fellowship, eat and enjoy each other’s company. It was a job well done and each and every one of us are looking forward to the next book. Someone mentioned, The Help. Heard it was good so maybe, just maybe.
Elizabeth really and truly hit home with this one. I’m talking heart wide open, spread on the table for all to examine, poke, and prod. Many times when reading I felt as if I wrote these lines. I was like, yeah, that's how I felt, that's what I needed or didn't. It felt good to read someone else's story of trails, tribulations, joy, and freedom and be able to identify with them. Here was a women who went through a transformation that didn't always feel it's best, that had her crying on her knees, that had her confused and wanting to give up on everything and everyone, but she didn't! How many times have you felt like that? She kept moving forward even though she didn't know where forward was leading her. Her desire to grow, to become more of who she truly was, is what kept her going. How many times have you had to step out in faith and go where you've never gone before?

One of the lines in the book that got me into action was, "The great Sufi poet and philosopher Rumi once advised his students to write down the three things they most wanted in life. If any item on the list clashes with any other item, Rumi warned, you are destined for unhappiness". I paused at that moment and wrote down my three most wanted things and gladly saw no conflict. It was one of the things I encouraged the ladies to do and I'm encouraging you to do the same. Go ahead, see what you come up with. You may be surprised at what you find.

What are the three most wanted things on your list?

Elizabeth takes you along with her as she journeys through Italy, India, and Indonesia. In each country she experiences life in a totally new discovered way. In this she learns how precious her life is, and the lives of those she meets along the way and how not giving up will eventually pay off.

The ladies and I enjoyed Elizabeth's indulgence with the tasty foods of Italy so much that at our last meeting we had an Italian feast filled with good food, wine and to close it out, we watched the movie. 

If you enjoy books that move you and inspire you to be your best, you'll enjoy this one.  

* One of the down sides to this book was just that, the down sides. When Elizabeth hit rock bottom she really hit the bottom and it felt like it was never going to end. That's when I had to put the book down and move on to something else. That part of it made it really difficult to move on. Kind of like what she experienced, I guess. She hit rock bottom and it took her a while to come out of it but eventually she did and life became more enjoyable for her. So in reading the book, I was more than excited to get pass those parts to move onto a more pleasurable feel in my reading. Be prepared for the lows because they are very low.


post signature

Comments

  1. Such a good and inspiring read, and storyline. I had no intention of ever seeing the film (nor reading the book for that matter) until I found myself being dragged into the theater one Saturday afternoon.

    I had it all figured to be a "womanly thing", beforehand. Yet it turned out to be universal, to the point where I am sure every person in the world can identify.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don ~ I'm glad you went and on top of that, enjoyed it. Definitely glad I pushed through the book it wasn't easy at some points but it got better as I kept reading. I would give it a 4 out of 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:35 PM

    I agree, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but India was kind of hard to get through. Bali I found to be the most entertaining, and I can't wait to see it for myself. I loved the part where she talked about the whole run-around with Wanya picking a house and the land had to be right, all that. I was shocked they decided not to include that in the movie. That's why I would much rather read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments because I love hearing from you. Engage with me.

Popular posts from this blog

I was born to be a Diva, Were You? Giveaway!!!

An Award? For Me?!