Race Update & Other Ramblings

Today certainly feels like Saturday, not a Friday. Maybe it’s because I’m so out of it right now. Worn out to be exact and what I usually like to do (if I don’t have anything scheduled) is lounge around and relax on a Saturday. So my Saturday has come a day early, tomorrow will be my Friday.

(SN:I just absolutely love my Fabulous Finds Friday, post #2. Did you enjoy it as much as I did? I particularly enjoyed the story told by the elderly man who lost his wife. And after she passed how he found something he had given her many, many, many years ago. How shocked was he to find that she kept all those tiny expressions of love from him. Shoot, I was impressed and the time and care he took in creating those small things. (The story made me tear up.)

Now on to the race! It went well. We had so much fun doing it together and crossing over the finish line was the best part. Some people were “doing the butt” dance as they crossed over. Some crossed over jumping up and down. Some screaming and shouting. Others waving their hands in the air. We on the other hand, fist bumped. (*Ahem*, hubby’s too cool for all that other stuff Winking smile). I’m so proud of him. He finished his first race and is looking forward to more. Sadly though, I am the one who is sore. That’s why I’m resting today, taking it easy, at least physically. We have another race or two to complete before the year is over and I don’t need to feel like this when I’m done those. If there are any runners reading this post, please give me some pointers because the back of my knees are killing me. I heard that doing rowing exercises can help. I don’t remember feeling this way last year after my first 5k.

Hubby took a few pics of me after the race. I was tired and exhausted but completely satisfied. He also took some pics of me while we were out shopping for my new running shoes at one of the best runners/walkers/joggers shoe place store in Atlanta, Phidippides. He had fun clicking away and of course I had fun on the other end. I must have tried on 5 or 6 pairs before we found my fit but I was determined to get the one for me. We found it after all that work. I kept feeling like we weren’t there yet until that one pair I tried on felt like air. It felt like it was made for my feet. While I was running it felt like I was running on a mattress. This was definitely worth the hour or so we were in the store. If you go to the Phidippides in Atlanta, ask for Gregory. He was good. Real good. He took his time. Like I said, it took over an hour to find my pair but we did with his patience and expertise. You can tell he enjoys what he does. In the search for the right shoe for you, they have you run back and forth in the store so they can check you out (no I’m just playing, LOL). They have you run back and forth to see the angel that your foot lands on the ground every time. They check to see if you tend to lean inward or out. This helps them to narrow it down. So be prepared to do some running or walking if you’re a walker.

(Hubby was testing out some different effects on my camera which explains the different colors & clarity)

 

C360_2011-09-08 13-10-12  C360_2011-09-08 13-42-19

       C360_2011-09-08 13-09-17  C360_2011-09-08 13-08-22

 

 

 

C360_2011-09-08 13-38-43     C360_2011-09-08 13-39-38

 

This was the 29th annual Kaiser Permanente Corporate Run/Walk & Fitness Program. They have this event every year so I’m looking forward to participating next year, hopefully. They provided so many different activities for registered members before the race that helped us to get ready. They offered boot camp at Piedmont Park which entailed three levels of fitness training. Every Wednesday and Thursday evening we met at Phidippides in Atlanta and Sandy Springs to train with other participants. Also, LA Fitness allowed all who registered for the race use of their gyms from Aug. 10th – Sept. 7th to assist us in our training as well. At the end of the race we were also provided free food from Jason’s Deli which was pre-ordered to our delight after signing up for the race.

They had a full schedule yesterday during the hours leading up to the race and afterwards. The meeting place was adjacent to Turner Field where everyone gathered to pick up their race numbers. The starting line up was directly under the Olympic rings. It got crowded quickly. We lined up with the walkers I wasn’t getting in the way of all those eager racers who had their eyes on the gold. We wanted/needed to pace ourselves and finish (not last though) the race. We crossed the finish line exactly one hour after it began. Not bad for beginners.

It’s time for me to get back to reading more about Elizabeth (the woman who wrote Eat, Pray, Love. It’s the book I’m currently reading with one of my book clubs) and get my rest and relaxation on. It’s been great sharing our story with you. I hoped you enjoyed.

post signature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I was born to be a Diva, Were You? Giveaway!!!

An Award? For Me?!