Memory Lane Monday’s…It’s The 80’s Baby!


~ Memories live like people do ~

Welcome to Memory Lane Monday’s with a twist. We started this project back in 2008 with the intention of sharing our pictures from many, many years ago. Well today we’ve switched things up a bit. (And when I say we, I’m referring to myself and my loving husband). Click on this link to read about Memory Lane Monday’s and how it all got started.

Memory Lane Monday’s will not only consist of older pictures but will include childhood memories that I want to share. *(In some cases I will use other photos I find on the web to help convey my message). 

Memories influence who we are today. Whether they were great memories or not they still live on in our minds helping to create our present lives. How we choose to relive those memories is entirely up to us. I choose to celebrate my memories and share them with you. Feel free to do the same if something I write about resonates with you.

Come take a trip down Memory Lane with me.
Let’s begin, shall we!

father-and-daughter_mini

This memory is so special, I can remember it like it was um,...a few years ago. 
I can remember as a little girl heading over to Empire Roller Skating Center in Brooklyn, NY. My Dad loved to skate. He would get our there and do his thing and as his little girl, I would be so proud! He taught me and my brothers how to roller skate. Almost every weekend me, my Dad, my little brother, and our church family would head over to Empire to get our skate on. Guess who would be there as well? Many of you may already know the answer to this question…yes, Hubby Smile. Hubby was very much an integral part of that church family and would enjoy those weekends as well.

 The rink would be so packed but I didn’t mind. I just wanted to rent my skates and go. I learned a few tricks here and there but what I would especially love to do is watch the professionals do their thing. Have you ever seen what these people can do on roller skates, it’s beautiful. Seriously. It would mesmerize me and I only hoped to become as good. I didn’t make it as far as some of them but I did do my thing Winking smile.

To this day I still love to skate and go from time to time with Hubby and our kids. The last time we went I tried one of those tricks I used to do as a little girl and found myself right, smack, and center on the damn floor..SMH! (shaking my head). OUCH, that hurt, LOL! Turns out I’m a little rusty with my moves but that’s cool, that’s cool. With a little practice I’ll be doing my damn thing soon again. Ok, maybe with a lot of practice.

This is one childhood memory I will forever hold dear to me. Thanks Dad!

skates-300x199_mini

Empire Roller Skating Center was one of Brooklyn’s largest roller skating rinks and sadly closed it’s doors in 2007. So many of my favorite memories were formed there. I will always remember those moments and allow that joy to fill up inside of me as I stroll down memory lane.


Any skaters in the house??

post signature

Comments

  1. Good post and read. Love these kinds of posts. They are usually the kind that allow me to reflect upon good memories, as well.

    I am hardly a skater, but you wouldn't know that from the manner in which myself and junior high friends filed into the skating rink, back in the days.

    Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post Lisa!

    I was one of the best skaters in my neighborhood growing up! I would even do a few tricks!

    Last time I skated with the girls several years ago, I feel VERY hard and injured my tailbone. It was a LONG recovery! I have not been back since but we shall see what the future holds :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don ~ Thank you :o) I'm glad to have sparked those memories for you...I hope it felt good reflecting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelly ~ :o) We probably would have been jamming together if we would have known each other back in the day! I could just see us now lol!! We have to be careful now though. We are way too pretty to be falling down on somebody's floor ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments because I love hearing from you. Engage with me.

Popular posts from this blog

I was born to be a Diva, Were You? Giveaway!!!

An Award? For Me?!