Reflections of A Mississippi Magnolia

mississippi I love to curl up and read a good book, especially when that book is filled with poems! A little while ago I was asked to do just that and I am so thankful that I said yes to the opportunity and that’s how I met Patricia Neely-Dorsey. This beautiful women appeared in my inbox with a sweet and gentle request that I couldn’t pass up. She has written a book of life in poems that will absolutely take your breath away! The name of the book is, Reflections of A Mississippi Magnolia.
PIC[1]From the moment I started reading the Foreword I was hooked and couldn’t put it down. I  wanted more of this lady packaged in this sweet book of poems. In Patricia’s own words she says, “I always hesitate to call myself a poet. I feel more like a vessel or a conduit through which the poems flow. I never intentionally sat down to write any of them. They all came to me, fully complete and neatly packaged, title and all.” Her heart and passion for her work shows in every word and puts you in a place of being right there with her as the words were flowing. She also says, "There are so many negative connotations associated with Mississippi and the south in general. In my book, using  childhood memories, personal thoughts and dreams, I attempt to give a positive glimpse into the southern way of life. In my book I try to show that there is much more to Mississippi and the south than all of the negatives usually portrayed. I invite readers to Meet Mississippi (and the south) Through Poetry, Prose and The Written Word." It definitely gives you a greater appreciation for the south, southern life and the men and women who love where they’re from.
I have so many favorites I would love for you to read like: “Southern Man”, “Summer Night (Southern Style)” and “The Magnolia Tree”, from her Southern Life collection that makes you want to experience it all for yourself. “Poetry” and “Little Miss Perfect” are from her Childhood Memories collection, describes personal memories of loved ones in her life, makes your heart say, wow! “One Room School”, from her Family History collection, reminds you of where we came from. “Loving Me”, “Happy (With The Nappy)”, “Shades of Lovely (Good Enough to Eat)”, *“Inside Me” and “Turning 40” (you could tell this is my favorite collection), from her Getting Personal collection, reminds you of how special, beautiful and awesome you really are in your own skin. “Simple Tastes” and “Our Place”, from her Intimacies collection will have you melting from all the love that flows like sweet honey, Yummy. “If Mississippi’s In You” and “Reflections of A Mississippi Magnolia”, from her Summing Things Up collection is the exclamation point, the wham bam thank you ma’am of a Mississippi Magnolia!  
I enjoyed every bit of this wonderful book from front to back and I’ll enjoy reading it over and over and over again, I know you will too!! Check out her website and see for yourself and while you’re there pick up your copy as well.
Picture2031
Inside Me*
Inside me,
A well springs eternal,
Hopes and dreams take flight,
Poems spew forth like a fountain,
Flowers bloom in bright colors,
Butterflies spread their wings,
And new life awaits.
Inside me,
There’s a barefoot girl in pigtails,
A woman in silk stockings and high heels,
A sophisticated lady of the day,
And a sultry lady of the evening,
There’s a church goer and a party thrower,
There’s somebody’s mother, daughter, sister,
Wife, lover and friend;
There’s all of that
Inside me.
Can you see it?

post signature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I was born to be a Diva, Were You? Giveaway!!!

An Award? For Me?!