Sort of a flashback!


My Dad was asked to speak on motivation day, at Fredrick Douglas High School in Atlanta yesterday. My Mom, Dave and I went with him for support. It was me and my brothers first time ever in a High School, it was fun! We got to hear our Dad speak and motivate the many teenagers who were in class. He encouraged them to hold on to their dreams and to always believe in themselves.

David and I not only got to sit in classrooms but we got to sit in desks too, just like the students. We ate lunch and listened to many of the other adults who were there to speak as well.

I learned some of the things it takes to be a teenager learning how to be an adult. I also noticed that some of the girls were pregnant, way too young to be pregnant. I also noticed many of negative attitudes the students had. I felt sorry for them. I learned how negative and positive influences can make or break your day.

I could tell my parents were having flashbacks of being teens again. I was proud (and always will be) to be their daughter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am so proud of our oldest!! She was asked to write a short summary of her experience yesterday and this is what came from her heart.

I am also very proud of my husband for the job well done. Those students were tough and some of them not interested at all but he didn't let that stop him. The more he spoke the more in tuned he got with the message he wanted to deliver to them, the more confident he became in what he was sharing. The last time D. did something like this was way before we got together, yesterday was just a warm up.
Many of these students come from broken homes, broken neighborhoods and go to a school where many of the teachers don't care. Seems like they're just showing up because they have too.

My hat goes off to the teachers and staff who are trying to make a difference by organizing events like this. Showing the students that they do care and that there is hope for better futures for them and their children. This event takes place once a year, in my opinion it should be more than that. I'm sure we'll be going back again, who knows, maybe they'll get to hear from this stay-at-home-mom who is in between careers.





Check out my other Flashback Friday's Here!

Comments

  1. Yeah teaching ain't no joke, especially if you teach in places that most folks would only dream about in their nightmares.

    Everybody need a lil hope, that things ain't ALWAYS, gone be the same. Teachers are responsible for so very very much, but treated as tho they are not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:05 AM

    That sounds like a wonderful experience. Yes it can be hard breaking through to students at times many of them have already faced major disappointments from adult figure in their young lives. I commend D for sticking to it. It's how we get pass those walls that some of them have built around themselves.

    Flashbacks are can be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aly~ I know how passionate you are about this subject being that you are a teacher yourself. I agree, if there are more events like this it will make a difference in the lives of the students and teachers as well.

    Hi Opal~ I know you have a heart for teaching as well being that you're a homeschooling Mom and mentor. I remember reading some of your stories about the "not so easy to deal with" mentee's, but sticking it through is what they needed from you. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful and insightful summary your daughter wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Toadee~ Welcome to my place! Thanks for the compliment, I'll make sure and let her know :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:57 AM

    I love stuff like this. I know you are proud of both Dad and daughter. I have a question though. You said it was the first time you were in a High School. Were you home schooled or did I just miss something? Sorry so late in getting by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:59 AM

    Yes, I did miss something, I neglected to read the writing on the ball cap. Duh! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful memory Lisa; sounds like you married a guy as wonderful as your dad.

    My brother works in a school with "at risk" kids. He often talks of how some of the kids are hard to get through to because they've lost hope at an early age.

    BTW You've been tagged, lucky you!
    http://intga.blogspot.com/2007/11/pairs-meme.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:54 PM

    I'm happy for you. this sounds like a wonderful experience. I'm just learning more about the whole education system since my daughter is just now starting school I'm trying to be an active particapant in the whole process.

    I wish my mom would have taken a more active role in my education not that shit did a bad job...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dad sounds like a wonderful man. It's easy to talk about helping / changing, admirable to step in and actually do something to help. Even if one student is affected in a positive way, I would say that is a success.
    Lately I have been by my old school a few times while out working (I travel ariund quite a bit) and old memories come flying back into my head.
    Happy week to you Lisa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:47 AM

    These are the things that life is made of-being able to go back and share your experience with those coming up. Going back to school can always take you back to a time of innocence. It was so carefree back then.

    I have been invited back to my former high school a few and talk on behalf of the business classes and also the athletic programs since I am former competitive bodybuilder. When I go back to my old high school most of the kids think I am a student because I guess I look so young. I also have to speak at one of my former teachers retirement party this upcoming Spring; I am really excited about that. Enough of my soapbox. LOL.

    Give your dad a couple of KUDOS for me.

    www.MarcusLangford.com
    Subscribe to 'Mind of Marcus'
    The Mind For Revolution Is Here

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments because I love hearing from you. Engage with me.

Popular posts from this blog

I was born to be a Diva, Were You? Giveaway!!!

An Award? For Me?!