They Are Black & Yes, They Are Beautiful!!!

Using their influence through the arts these compelling, talented and beautiful women left their mark on history. They sang, they danced, performed and wrote their hearts out to anyone who would listen and learn. Learn what made them beautiful, learn what made them free, learn what made them smile. Many of them had to fight just to be heard because of the color of their skin. In the face of prejudices and unequally they shined anyway and paved the road for the many talents that we see today. Talents such as Alicia Keyes, Halle Berry, Macy Gray, Angie Stone, Beyonce, Loretta Devine, Janet Jackson, Chrisette Michele, Meagan Good, Erykah Badu, Angela Bassett, Jada Pinkett-Smith and so many more, I just don't have the time and space to list them all.



Please take a moment to look at this video and in to the lives of some of these beautiful women by clicking on a link below. You'll be amazed at what you didn't know. I hope you enjoy!! Have a Happy Friday :)

The Bronze Venus
She did it first in so many ways, The 'Real Carmen Jones'
The Writer Poet & Activist
The Great Jazz Diva
A Singers Singer
The High Priestess of Soul
The Artistic Director
Best Actress In A Television Series
She's Got 'Fame'
Actress on a mission*
She's Got 'One Life To Live'
James Bond 'Diamonds Are Forever'
Queen of the Blues elevated to 'Empress'
Calypso Queen
The Comeback Kid
She still performs at the Blue Note in New York City
The Funniest Woman in the World
First ever to play the lead in a police film and TV role
Lovin' you is easy because you're beautiful
She's Gone With the WindThe Sophisticated Lady
His Eye is on the Sparrow
Hallelujah, Baby!

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:04 AM

    I adored Minnie Rippertons music. I did a tribute (Karaoke style to her on my CD) I'll send you the link sometime.

    Just stopped by to see if you are doing the Friday Flashback this week. Sorry I have let it get so far behind. Hope you'll play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:08 AM

    Oooops, I want to add someone to your list. Maya Angelou. She totally rocks. I have ALL of her books but my fave "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings". If you have never read it, please do, it is VERY inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:02 PM

    Though I will not have time to go through the list, I am very much aware of the many talented black woman and each is a dynamic artist in her own right.

    Angela Bassett has been my favorite actress for the longest time; I would compare to be the Denzel of black female actresses. However, I have not seen Ms. Bassett around on the big-screen lately, so I am hoping that she plans on making a comeback because I sure as heck miss her.

    www.MarcusLangford.com
    Subscribe to 'Mind of Marcus'
    The Mind For Revolution Is Here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dari~ You've gotta send me that link, I would love to check it out! I haven't participated in FF but I know it's not too late to start. I'll check it out for next week.

    Yes, I agree Maya does rock. She is an amazing Woman. I have read it and enjoyed it when I did. Thanks for adding her to the list!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marcus~ Welcome to my place. You had a very interesting list over there that I could not help commenting on.

    From 'Waiting to Exhale - Akeelah and the B', Angela's talent is amazing. To compare her to Denzel, I think is wonderful. He is amazing in his own right as well.

    Thanks for stopping by. Hope you'll be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:35 PM

    Hi ya Lisa! This is the link I get to it by, hope it works for you. Keep in mind, I am NO professional but I love to sing-a-long.

    http://odeo.com/audio/12616923/view

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:14 PM

    Just to let you know...you have been TAGGED. Go to my blog and see latest posting for details.

    www.MarcusLangford.com
    Subscribe to 'Mind of Marcus'
    The Mind For Revolution Is Here

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dari~ I'm listening to it as I type right now and I must say from the little that I can hear you sound marvalous!!! Thanks for sharing and I love that picture of you ;)

    Hi Marcus~ Thanks for the tag. I just left a comment for you :)

    Hi IW~ It's been a while :) Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisa,

    This is my first time at your site, came here from Bobby's (revellian).

    This was such an enjoyable post, I love the music at first I thought, "Minnie Riperton?" and then, "no,of course Denise Williams."

    I loved the images of the many beautiful and talented black women, some of which took me back to particular times in my life: I can remember when Minnie Riperton died and what a loss it was to the world, I remember when Diahann Carroll was "Julia" and what a stir it caused at the time (before your time I suspect :).

    I am surprised that there were no images of Maya Angelou, she is amazing and very much an icon.

    ...And yes, you are right, there were names I didn't know.

    Thank you Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, you had me at Alicia Keys. Did you say something before or after that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Menopauseprincess~ Welcome, it's great to have you. Bobby has some really good friends, so any friend of his is mine as well :)

    I'm glad you enjoyed this post. I started working on it a week ago. With a houseful like mine I was lucky to finish it in a week. Ha!

    You are the second to point out that Ms. Angelou was not in the presentation. How unfortunate, but I'm sure there are others. Anyway, I added her to my side bar to shine all on her own. What a beautiful woman!

    Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

    Hi Rolando~ LOL! She's been known to have that affect on many. Don't feel bad, you're not alone :) She's a beautiful girl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:28 AM

    Lisa, thanks so much! Hope ya have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Dari~ You're welcome!! And thanks, I hope you have a great week too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for including those links. I played Minnie Riperton's "Inside My Love" on my show yesterday. I heard some of her work with Rotary Connection for the first time a few years ago... I need to pay a visit to Napster to see what's available.

    It was interesting to find out how Jackie "Moms" Mabley got her stage name. Even for the things that I did know, a reminder never hurt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments because I love hearing from you. Engage with me.

Popular posts from this blog

I was born to be a Diva, Were You? Giveaway!!!

An Award? For Me?!